Read about World Press Freedom Day, South Africa’s dairy product of the year, African swine fever, a unique online concept and more.
World Press Freedom Day
The UN General Assembly proclaimed 3 May as World Press Freedom Day. Our cover article explains why we should be enthusiastic about celebrating this day. Unfortunately, there is a risk that the toast we raise this year is a bitter one, and there are several reasons to believe that the situation is not better for agricultural journalists than for journalists in other sectors.
Departmental name change
After the 2019 announcement in which the forestry and fisheries functions were amalgamated into the Department of Environmental Affairs, which became known as the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF), the department said in a recent statement that the name would change to Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE).
SA Dairy Product of the Year: Third triumph for Woolworths Mature Gouda
Lactalis South Africa’s 10-months Mature Gouda, made especially for Woolworths, was crowned the South African Dairy Product of the Year for an unrivalled third time at the South African Dairy Awards. The Gouda, an aromatic and full-flavoured cheese, was one of almost 900 dairy products from 68 producers that vied for the attention of the 60 judges. From these, only eight were honoured with the Qualité mark of excellence and 106 – the winners in each championships class – were named SA Champion.
What you need to know about African swine fever (ASF) to protect your piggery
African swine fever (ASF) is a highly contagious viral disease of wild- and domestic pigs of all age groups. ASF is a global disease responsible for serious production and economic losses, but it is important to note that it is not the same virus as classical swine fever nor swine flu viruses.
This edition of Agripen includes the following articles:
- A bitter toast at Press Freedom Day
- Name change for Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Department
- Room for growth in the South African avocado sector
- SA Dairy Product of the Year: Third triumph for Woolworths
- South African Dairy Championships is the only major dairy championships during Covid-19
- Agri SA en vennote maak ’n vars impak met Covid-19-voedselverligting
- African Swine Fever
- Increased rainfall has a rising effect on animal disease transmission
- Sauvignon Blanc SA celebrates new partnership
- NERPO announces the retirement of its MD, Mr Aggrey Mahanjana
- Syngenta launches new fungicide seed treatment
- Global acquisition by Netafim to support food security and strengthen local greenhouse industry’s access to technology
- Unieke aanlynkonsep: Boks voer vir ’n boer
- Nuwe NWK-winkel in Vryburg