The evaluation for Agriculturist of the year is mainly about the essence, principles, value systems and life ethics of the candidate as well as his/her achievements, the value of his/ her work to the agricultural sector and the candidate’s local and international status.
The main factors used for adjudication are:
- A full description of the nominee and his/her work environment during his/her career, with emphasis on qualifications and the fields of his/her expertise.
- Value to the farmer and agriculture – here a full description on the manner in which he/she shares his/ her knowledge with the farmers answering the following question:
- How does this knowledge precipitate in a practical way?
- How valuable is this knowledge to farmers and how does it enable them to farm better and more sustainably?
- What is the effect of his/her research (as researcher), extension (as agricultural extensioner) or service (as manager/administrator) on agriculture? In other words, what is the impact factor of the candidate?
- In what way does this add value to agriculture, industry or the organisation the farmer is involved with?
- Adaptation to change – a complete description on how the candidate keeps abreast of the changing agricultural environment and adapt his/her research/extension/ service thereto. How relevant is the candidate concerning the daily challenges the sector has to face?
- In this, the last segment, the focus should be on the candidate’s achievements as well as the acknowledgement he/she enjoys at local and/or international level. What is his/her international status?