2019 Provincial Winners
2019 provincial winners of Agricultural Writers SA’s Farmer, Agriculturist and New Entrant to Commercial Agriculture awards
The annual Agricultural Writers SA’s Farmer of the Year awards celebrates excellence in our industry. The event, sponsored by Bayer, Rovic Leers, Santam Agri and Sanlam gives recognition to the work of those that seek to elevate food security and rural economies.
Despite the challenges of the past year, South African farmers have continued to make a contribution locally and internationally in the supply of high quality food.
On Friday 15 November the Agricultural Writers SA will honour these role players at a gala event in Pretoria. Here we will announce the winners in the following categories:
• Farmer of the Year
• Agriculturist of the Year
• New entrant to commercial farming of the year
As a pivotal section of our economy, we could not function as a society and an investment-worthy destination were it not for a thriving agricultural landscape.
This year we have again received a host of worthy entrants, the provincial winners of each category having been announced earlier in October. They are:
Farmer of the Year
· Tom van Rooyen (North West)
· Alan & Jill Whyte (Limpopo)
· Nick Serfontein (Free State)
· Simeon & Jarren Hurwitz (Mpumalanga)
· Francis Visagie (Northern Cape)
· Mark Harris (Eastern Cape)
Agriculturist of the Year
· Prof. Esté Van Marle-Köster (North West)
· Prof. Juaneé Cilliers (North West)
· Dr. Merida Roets (KwaZulu-Natal)
· Dr. Antonie Geyer (Free State)
· Willem van der Aarde (Northern Cape)
· Buks Nel (Western Cape)
New Entrant to Commercial Farming of the Year
· Khulile Mahlalela (Mpumalanga)
· Dirk Louw (Northern Cape)
· Andries van der Poll (Western Cape)
Agricultural Writers SA is a professional association that represents journalists and communication specialists in agricultural media.
This year the event is hosted by the Northern Region under the chairperson, Magda du Toit.
At the same event various awards will be presented to the best photographers, writers and communicators in the industry who entered competitions sponsored by CropLife SA, Santam Agriculture, Bayer, BKB and FNB.